September 10, 2008

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW

I am a big fan of knowing random, somewhat useless, often unnecessary knowledge. You never know when you might unexpectedly find yourself at a Monday night trivia game where it pays to know some random factoids.

For instance, did you know that if you keep a Goldfish in the dark room, it will eventually turn white? Or that there are 336 dimples in a regulation golf ball? How about that the name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with? Can you say whether or not a duck's quack will echo?

Random knowledge also comes in handy when you're trying to convince your husband who has a soft heart for every creature, except scorpions, that spiders - even very small ones, in fact, especially very small ones - should not be left alone to roam the bedroom walls.

Yes, I understand that spiders are handy because they consume many other little bugs, but did you know the average human accidentally swallows 8-11 spiders while asleep during their lifetime?

I rest my case.

1 comment:

Silverthornes said...

Thanks for that! I was just about to go to bed - now I will have to "sleep with one eye open (holding my pillow tight)" and my mouth closed - I think I will put a mosquito net over my kids too :)
very interesting about the duck quack, never thought about it not echoing (I will put that in my little memory chest I keep just in case I find myself in an awkward pause in a conversation)