October 21, 2008

I FELL IN TO A BURNING RING OF FIRE

Aaron and I went to see the movie Fireproof last night. Oh, it is so good on so many levels.

from the movie's website:
FIREPROOF is the third feature film from Sherwood Pictures, the creators of FACING THE GIANTS and FLYWHEEL. With hope-filled, heartfelt storytelling, the moviemaking ministry of Sherwood Baptist Church continues to touch the world from Albany, Georgia.

An action-packed love story, FIREPROOF will have audiences laughing, crying, and inching toward the edge of their seats as they are drawn into the world of a firefighter, his wife ... and a marriage worth rescuing.
I've been wanting to see this movie for a while, and I have to admit, I was a little unsure of what Aaron's reaction would be. I mean, come on, it's a story about luuuuv, it's dramaaaatic, it's touching...it stars Kirk Cameron. Not exactly Aaron's top pick.

The movie is so well done.

It really is action-packed. And the action is centered around firefighters, people you actually know. Real heroes putting their life on the line. You know I love Spiderman. I want to be Spiderman. I gasp and clench my fists hoping Spidey can stop Green Goblin from terrorizing the city. But the Spiderman movies seem like cupcakes compared to how I feel watching a fireman trapped in a burning house find a way to drag a little girl to safety.

It really is funny - as in, Aaron laughed out loud. Out loud. We even left the movie with a few quotable one-liners.

It really does draw you in. I'm not absolutely positive, but I'm pretty sure I noticed Aaron choke back a lump in his throat at least once. He could have been trying to swallow a popcorn kernel that was stuck, but I doubt it.

When the movie was over and we filtered out of the theater among the other couples, Aaron looked over at me and asked if I liked it. Yes! Did he like it? Yes. It was good. He thought it had a good message.

I was so glad he liked it.

Then as we were driving home he asked what was my favorite part and told me his favorite part. We laughed recalling a few of the scenes. We talked about how amazing the Sherwood movies are considering they are amateur.

I was so glad he liked it enough to keep talking about it.

Then Aaron said, "There sure was a lot of crying at the end. It seemed like the last thirty minutes was nothing but people crying."

I laughed, agreed, and thought to myself, There's my sweet husband. A sensitive soft-hearted man, but a man nonetheless, who can only take so much crying in one movie.

And I like him like that.


p.s. If you have not seen Facing the Giants, it is an equally remarkable movie and well worth watching.

No comments: